Guaranteed to make your players happy. It's straight from the Nilla Wafer box and hard to beat.
45 Nilla Wafers
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 ripe bananas, sliced (about 3 1/2 cups)
1. Reserve 10 Nilla Wafers for garnish.
2. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
3. Spread small amount of custard on bottom of 1 1/2- quart casserole; cover with layer of wafers and a layer of sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make 3 layers of each, ending with custard.
4. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Spoon on top of custard, spreading to cover the entire surface and sealing well to edges.
5. Bake at 350ºF for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Cool slightly or refrigerate. Garnish with reseved wafers.